5.23.2010

Fort Pickens...the rest of the story

To coin a phrase from Paul Harvey, the legendary syndicated commentator. This is the rest of the story from our Fort Pickens visit.



"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
¸.•*´¨`♥ Joe Girard







This image was taken down a deep tunnel. It was so dark that I had no idea what was beyond the doorway. So I jacked up my exposure and closed down my f/stop (which is something I rarely do...I love shooting wide open) and shot the image. It is ever so slightly blurry, but it had to be because my heart beat - I held my breath during the shot so as not to move the camera. (This is where my tripod would of been a genius idea...but, alas, it was at home.) I didn't know what the image would reveal until getting home and putting on my computer. A creepy little doorway...and a woman!!! (If you click on the image it will take you to Flickr.
Above the image on Flickr, click on ALL SIZES and you will see the woman better.)





""




""
Even in this harsh environment, these little flowers manage to flourish...






""







""




This wall of graffiti (which shouldn't be there at all, I know...defacing such a historical place) amazed me. The graffiti it's self became part of history.


"11-15-49"
A.F.B. 11-15-49



"If I knew that this would be the last time you pass through this door, I’d embrace you, kiss you, and call you back for one more."
"If I knew that this would be the last time you pass through this door, I’d embrace you, kiss you, and call you back for one more."
¸.•*´¨`♥ Gabriel García Márquez






""




"And here, over the portals of my fort, I shall cut in the stone the word which is to be my beacon and my banner."
"And here, over the portals of my fort, I shall cut in the stone the word which is to be my beacon and my banner."
¸.•*´¨`♥ Ayn Rand (Anthem)



"The world is full of people who have never, since childhood, met an open doorway with an open mind."
"The world is full of people who have never, since childhood, met an open doorway with an open mind."
¸.•*´¨`♥ E. B. White

2 comments:

BaysideLife Sunday, May 23, 2010  

Don't you love this place. If you haven't already, next visit take a walk along the trail behind the sign to the left of the entrance visitor center. It's quiet and quite lovely.

Shawn Sunday, May 23, 2010  

Great photos of fort pickens. We have enjoyed that park many times.

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails
anniebluesky.•*♥. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

photography

Below is a list of photography resources broken up into assorted categories.


Subscribe to
SeaSide Sharon
Then Florida is at your fingertips.

Search This Blog

Followers

Sounds of the Ocean

Randomness

www.flickr.com

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP