3.24.2010

Pelicans in Paradise::1

I've changed the look of Seaside Sharon. Just a little different. So, for a bit I will be tweaking and fine tuning the template until I hit that sweet spot!

As I start this new look, I'm posting a new series. Here in Pensacola we have something called Pelicans in Paradise. I think there may be 41 of these adorable pieces of art in the area...give or take a few. Some are MIA. I know the Navy Pelican is gone. Just gone.

And that leads me to my new series I was telling you about. The Pelicans in Paradise is a public art project organized by the Pensacola News Journal in which pelican statues of reinforced fiberglass are decorated by various artists, selected by the statues' sponsors, and placed at various outdoor locations around the downtown Pensacola area. A total of 41 pelicans have been commissioned for the project. Pelicans in Paradise was inspired by the Cow Parade Project in Portland, Oregon.

My mission is to photograph all of them. Here are what I have so far...I will post the remaining as I capture them.


Mac - the U.S. Marine

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods."
The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.
¸.•*´¨`♥ Plato





"...still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
...still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.
¸.•*´¨`♥ Victor Hugo


_


"Army: A body of men assembled to rectify the mistakes of the diplomats."
Army: A body of men assembled to rectify the mistakes of the diplomats.
¸.•*´¨`♥ Josephus Daniels


_-5


_-4


"To save a life, any life, be it animal, vegetable or human  is an act on behalf of The Lord."
To save a life, any life, be it animal, vegetable or human  is an act on behalf of The Lord.
¸.•*´¨`♥ Mr. Prophet


_-2


"Not knowing how he lost himself, or how he recovered himself, he may never feel certain of not losing himself again."
Not knowing how he lost himself, or how he recovered himself, he may never feel certain of not losing himself again.
¸.•*´¨`♥ Charles Dickens (A Tale of Two Cities)


Tail of Two Cities
"There can be no divided allegiance here."
There can be no divided allegiance here.
¸.•*´¨`♥ Theodore Roosevelt


"Press"ton
"She can't keep writing about what a tragic little hero I am, it'll get boring."
She can't keep writing about what a tragic little hero I am, it'll get boring.
¸.•*´¨`♥ J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)


_-10


_-9


This is my collection to date. It is going to be like a scavenger hunt all over Pensacola!!

6 comments:

hillgrandmom Thursday, March 25, 2010  

Interesting! Are the Pelicans used as signs(?)only in Florida?
The new look of the blog is intriguing. Waiting for the makeover to be over.

Sharon Friday, March 26, 2010  

@hillgrandmom, Not signs. More like city wide art pieces. Just something unique to the city of Pensacola.

I'll probably be working on this template for a while. I keep seeing little things that I want to change. And I would like to do it without totally destroying the template! I wanted something that I could put larger images in.

Anonymous Tuesday, February 01, 2011  

Love the way you photograph the Pelicans, mine is more of a "this one" maybe after i find them all i will try the more Artistic approach. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067489&id=1460602372

Sharon Tuesday, February 01, 2011  

@impeter...I love that you have found so many! Wonderful collection!!!

Duke Boutwell Tuesday, September 27, 2016  

I would like to know how to create one for an organization. Is that possible?

Sharon Pickering Tuesday, September 27, 2016  

I'm not sure how you would go about having one made. Maybe contact the City of Pensacola for some information about them.

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails
anniebluesky.•*♥. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

photography

Below is a list of photography resources broken up into assorted categories.


Subscribe to
SeaSide Sharon
Then Florida is at your fingertips.

Search This Blog

Followers

Archive

Sounds of the Ocean

Randomness

www.flickr.com

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP