12.15.2008

A day of Geocaching

D had been working on a special day for Nikki and me. Even with studying for two back to back exams, one being the final, he worked on it. He was very secretive about it. Well, on last Friday we were finally able to do it. He planned a day of geocaching for us! We were completely surprised and in a state of extreme excitement. He plotted our day in St. Augustine. He handed over a big black notebook full of instructions we had to follow to the "t" and became our chauffeur for the day.

Our notebook told us where to go for breakfast. And so, we were off. Here is our day.

BarefootnAnnie geocaching
Nikki at one of the caches that required a photo to be taken with the items.

We went to several caches, I lost count. We could only not find two, and we figured it was due to construction. One cache was close to the lighthouse, and D planned for us to go up in the lighthouse. Was I ever excited! Nikki on the other had opted to sit it out with D. They really missed out. To the lighthouse I went. (Here is a link to a previous post with a 'big picture' view of the lighthouse.)

I was there. Oh yes. I was there.
I was there. Oh yes. I was there.


Red rail
I was standing at the foot of the lighthouse looking up.


1871
Built in 1871


Going up
Looking up.

These are the stairs I had to climb. I wasn't even scared yet. It hadn't hit me. At this point I was all happy and giddy to be in the lighthouse.

looking down the spiral
Looking down the spiral

This is where I first remembered that I'm scared of heights. But, with rubber knees and sweaty palms, I continued up the staircase to the top of the lighthouse. Did I conquer my fears. ummmm. No. I only needed to get to the top to take more photos. And take more pictures I did.

at the top 4
The view...


At the top 2
...was...


at the top 7
...breathtaking.


at the top 12
My town from the heaven's.


The little lighthouse rail. Little. eeekkkkk.
The little lighthouse rail. Little. eeekkkkk.

I had to actually lean over that rail to take this next photo. And, even now, my hands are beginning to sweat just looking at the next picture.

Looking down. GULP.
Looking down. GULP.


Another unique perk about climbing to the top, is you actually get to see the working parts of the lighthouse. Amazingly beautiful.

Lightroom floor
Lightroom floor


The light
The actual light


Lighthouse light 3
The prisms reflectors of the light


Spiraling out of control
Going back down. See the Christmas tree lights?


try your hand
Try your hand at "toting the oil".


oil can
This is the oil bucket.


looking out
Looking out.


The arched lighthouse windows
The arched lighthouse windows


Lighthouse Chistmas tree
Lighthouse Christmas tree

After my lighthouse adventure, we continued on our geocaching adventure. The next cache took us to Anastasia State Park...only the most beautiful stretch of beach on the Atlantic coast.

Nik at mouse geocache
Another photo requirement of this cache.

Pictures from the park...

To infinity and beyond.

“To infinity and beyond.”
¸.•*´¨`♥ Buzz Lightyear


"How can you be sure it has a soul? she said. You can't, I said, unless you've got one yourself."

" How can you be sure it has a soul? she said. You can't, I said, unless you've got one yourself."
¸.•*´¨`♥ StoryPeople

Now our big black notebook told us it was time for lunch. We had three choices, one being a surprise. We chose the surprise, which D already knew we would. We lunched at The Prince of Wales.

prince of wales
The Prince of Wales


biggest & best
We had the fish & chips. And the were the biggest and the best!

Then he turned us loose on St. George Street for a couple of hours. We, of course, were overjoyed.

"How can we know the dancer from the dance?"

"How can we know the dancer from the dance?"
¸.•*´¨`♥ William Butler Yeats


pirate crosses
Crosses


Me...the photog
Here is one Nikki took of me taking a shot.


"These gems have life in them: their colors speak, say what words fail of."

"These gems have life in them:  their colors speak, say what words fail of."
¸.•*´¨`♥ George Eliot

Then, after browsing on St. George Street, we were off to a couple more geocaches. The next was a 'virtual' cache, meaning we just had to find the cache and email the cache owner with answers to their questions to prove we found it.

Old Senator
Old Senator


the old senator
The Old Senator

This lovely lady was standing watch over the Old Senator.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."

"Adopt the pace of nature:  her secret is patience."
¸.•*´¨`♥ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Our last cache took us across the street from a haunted house. We didn't find the cache (I think because of landscaping), but I did get some shots of the haunted house and the house next door. I figured it probably should be haunted, too. It sure looks like it.

haunted_3
A haunted house.


old house
Haunted? I don't know. I'm saying yes.

This day was so much fun. (I say that a lot, don't I?) Thanks, D!!! You are only the best ever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails
anniebluesky.•*♥. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

photography

Below is a list of photography resources broken up into assorted categories.


Subscribe to
SeaSide Sharon
Then Florida is at your fingertips.

Search This Blog

Followers

Sounds of the Ocean

Randomness

www.flickr.com

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP