5.07.2010

The Forts of Pensacola...showcasing Pickens

In doing a search for a layout of the Forts in Pensacola, this article came up. I thought it was interesting.

THE FORTS AT PENSACOLA, FLA.

Published: January 12, 1861

CHARLESTON, Friday, Jan. 11.

A private dispatch to the Courier says that the Federal troops have abandoned all the forts in Pensacola Harbor, except Fort Pickens, where they are concentrated, and that three hundred men have left Mobile to surprise Fort Pickens.





""
This is the beautiful pass






This is a map of the forts of Pensacola in regard to each other and the Pass. Of course, I did not take this picture. I don't have a helicoptor, nor an airplane. So I used good old Google Maps to assist me in showing you the lay of the land. So to speak. In this map you can see the three forts and how they protected the pass into the Pensacola Bay. The pass is the blue line in the map.




View Forts of Pensacola in a larger map




This was taken not from Fort Pickens, but from a little outpost of the fort that overlooked a little pond. I anointed the pond in the map, also.


""
The Pond



""
Another view of the 'pond' and the wall surrounding the fort



""
Another view of the pass



""
If you look very hard, you can see the lighthouse. It is the tallest skinny dark object on the horizon. (I marked it on the map, also.)



The rest of the images are taken from in Fort Pickens or from the fort.


"I like talking to a brick wall- it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me!"
"I like talking to a brick wall- it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me!"
¸.•*´¨`♥ Oscar Wilde (Lady Windermere's Fan)



""
I know this is blurry...but I love the eerie effect



""
Once again blurry...but I didn't have my tripod and I had loooong exposures. Oddly enough I like the effect.



""
From 'inside' the fort courtyard



""
Looking out from the top of the fort



""
A row of arches



""
A view from the fort



""
Another rooftop view...stunning




""
Old stairs in the fort




""
16



"All my best thoughts were stolen by the ancients."
"All my best thoughts were stolen by the ancients."
¸.•*´¨`♥ Ralph Waldo Emerson



"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't going away."
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't going away."
¸.•*´¨`♥ Elvis Presley

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails
anniebluesky.•*♥. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

photography

Below is a list of photography resources broken up into assorted categories.


Subscribe to
SeaSide Sharon
Then Florida is at your fingertips.

Search This Blog

Followers

Sounds of the Ocean

Randomness

www.flickr.com

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP